Rochester is a terrific place to visit, for museums, (George Eastman House, Strong Museum of Play, Memorial Art Gallery), music, sports, scenic cruises, history, the
arts ...and the winters here are beautiful!
• TheStreet.com named Rochester, NY one of 10 Cities Poised for Greatness in 2012 due to our community's diversified economy, relatively low unemployment, and stable real estate market. (Jan 2012)
• Brookings Institution ranks Rochester the 46th best metro economy in the world and 3rd best in the U.S., trailing only Houston and Dallas and outperforming areas such as New York City, Boston and Washington. This ranking is based on 2010-2011 growth rates for employment, income and output of goods and services. (Jan 2012)
• Greater Rochester ranked first in job growth by Business Facilities Magazine, a leading trade publication targeted at site selectors. The list measures job growth in mid-sized metropolitan statistical areas. (July 2011)
• The Daily Beast has ranked Rochester one of the top 10 smartest cities in America. This ranking is based on the education attainment levels of our workforce as well as our intellectual environment. It underscores the fact that a highly-skilled and educated workforce is a key to long term economic success. Check out the full ranking here.
• Six Greater Rochester Region schools appear on U.S. News and World Report's rankings of top regional and national universities: U of R (25th overall), RIT (7th Best Universities Master's), SUNY Brockport (57th, Master's Universities in Northern Region), Nazareth College (26th Best Regional Universities in Northern Region), SUNY Geneseo (8th, Up and Coming Regional University in Rochester Region), St. John Fisher College (143 on national list). (September 2011)
• Eastman School of Music ranks 1st in the nation for its graduate music programs "America's Best Colleges." US News and Report, 2004 Rochester is the #1 Most Livable Bargain Market
• MSN rated Rochester, NY the #1 most livable bargain market in the US. "Rochester provides a lot of bang for your buck. It has big-city culture, a highly educated population, picturesque scenery, affordable housing and an expanding high-tech job base."
• Trulia.com names Rochester, NY one of the "5 Real Estate Markets to Watch in 2012." (Jan 2012)
• Rochester has the most affordable housing among the 52 major markets around the US. (source: Business First of Buffalo/US Census Bureau, April 2010)
• Zillow.com rated Rochester the third best place to buy a home due to a number of factors: affordability of homes, home value increases, low unemployment, and low % homes in foreclosure. (Jan 2011)
• The Today Show named the Finger Lakes Wine Country as a Top Food Trend for 2012, stating 2012 is the year wines in America outside of California will be a part of the national conversation and gain more acclaim. (Jan 2012)
For more about Rochester:
The following four accomodations are within walking distance of George Eastman
House and many restaurants:
550 East Avenue, Rochester
transportation from the airport
Harris House Inn (B&B)
35 Argyle Street Rochester, NY 14607
East Avenue Inn and Suites
384 East Ave.
Rochester, NY 14607
Phone: (800) 559-8039
transportation from the airport
The most economical option is AirBNB. The Park Avenue location comes highly recommended: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/7101
(Other AirBNB locations in Rochester have received somewhat mixed reviews from our students. Please email us if you have questions.)
For more hotels and B&Bs:
Rockingham, 2002 ©France Scully Osterman
(waxed salt print from collodion negative)
The cost of a taxi from the Rochester airport to Eastman House, nearby hotels or B&Bs (listed on left) is approximately $15 to $20.
Street (test shot) 2003 ©Mark Osterman
from collodion negative)
& Osterman Studio is located about one mile from George Eastman House, just two blocks from Highland Park;
on Rockingham Street (at Meigs) between South Avenue and Goodman Streets.
Taxis are available at the airport; and cost approx. $14 to Scully & Osterman and George Eastman House
& Osterman Studio:
Syracuse, Eastern NY and PA --
PA: take Turnpike NE extension all the way
Then take 81 North to Syracuse..
At Syracuse: watch for signs for 690 bypass to Route 90 West.
Take 90 west (about 1.50 hrs.) to exit 45 (route 490 to Rochester).
Take 490 to exit 17 Goodman Street. At top of ramp for exit 17 is a
traffic light, take a left. Go straight through five point intersection (see diner and cinema on
left). Go about six streets and see Hospital sign. Take a right on Rockingham,
same as H sign. Go one block to: Teal colored house on corner of Rockingham Street (& Meigs Street).
Southern NY: take 390 North to Rochester (1.5 hours from Corning).
Take exit for Route 15A. Take a left. Just after Westfall Road (at light)
see sign for South Avenue (it bears to the right).
Follow South Avenue, about 1.5 miles.
Immediately after Highland Hospital, take a right on Rockingham St.
Go two blocks to Teal colored house on corner of Rockingham Street (& Meigs Street).
From Buffalo: take 90 East
to LeRoy/Route 490 exit.Take
490 to Rochester. As
you get into the city, continue to follow signs for 490. (It bears off
to the right.)
Take the South Avenue exit. Go about 8 or 9 blocks, past Gregory &
Linden, you will see Rockingham Street (at a light) take a left. (If
you pass Highland hospital you've gone too far.) After
taking a left on Rockingham, go two blocks to: Teal colored house on corner of Rockingham Street (& Meigs Street).
George Eastman House directions & info: |
more maps and directions: